Is Your Laundry Room Childproof? Anything within your child’s reach can end up in his or her hands and mouth. Don’t forget to check for safety hazards in your laundry room and keep these important safety tips in mind.
- Call Poison Help (800-222-1222 for poison emergencies.
- Install safety latches that lock when you close the door on child-accessible cabinets. This includes laundry room as well as the kitchen and bathrooms and any other room with dangerous cleaning supplies.
- Use childproof locks on front-loading washers and dryers. Although convenient, front loading washers pose a risk to a child.
- Keep laundry detergent and other cleaning products in their original packaging. These packages usually contain child proof tops making them safer for your child.
- Never let your children touch single-use laundry packets. The packets dissolve quickly when in contact with water, wet hands, or saliva.
- Make sure laundry chute doors are childproof.
- Store all cleaning products in locked cabinets or containers, out of sight and reach of children.
- Always follow the instructions on the product label.
- Keep irons and iron cords out of reach of children.
These tips are recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Visit healthychildren.org for more information.